Being an organic mama, I have always loved Bare Minerals and Burt’s Bees natural lip gloss. However, priorities shift with time, and now I find it too expensive to afford. So, after a successful hands-on DIY Vegan Lip Scrubs and DIY Lip Balms, I finally decided to do some research on how to make your own lip gloss? The basic recipe for lip balms, DIY lip gloss and, DIY Lip oils is almost the same with slight variations in ratio of ingredients.
I already had leftover ingredients from my Homemade Lip Oil recipe and used those first so that I don’t end up wasting money on a fresh batch of ingredients for this experiment. The results, however, were amazing! Honestly, I was not expecting such an accurate knockoff homemade organic lip gloss.
Lip Gloss Base Ingredients:
How to Make Your Own Lip Gloss?
Before we begin, do not use Beeswax, cocoa butter, Shea butter or Paraffin for a DIY lip gloss. These are used to solidify the lip balms, and we don’t want that. We want a sticky glossy consistency. We will start with the most basic ingredients for DIY organic lip gloss and then move on to different variations.
What you need for a DIY lip gloss:
- Lip gloss Base: Vaseline or Versagel lip gloss base.
Not only will the lip gloss base keep your lips hydrated, but it will also make your lip gloss stay and not bleed out.
- Base Oil: Glycerin, Jojoba oil, Castor oil, Sweet Almond oil, Coconut oil, Olive oil, Sesame seed Oil.
Base oil will add the glossy, lush lips effect to your lip gloss. Besides, each base oil has properties beneficial for your lips. You can use a combination of base oil or stick to one. Castor oil is a must; it will make the lip gloss shiny while other oils can be used in combination with this.
- Lip Treatment: Vitamin E (helps rejuvenate your skin), Carrot seed essential oil (it acts as a sunscreen protecting your lips from harmful rays)
While you are at it, why not make it a two in one lip treatment + lip gloss?
- Tint: Mica powder, Organic food color, Scrapings of lipstick, Leftover lip gloss.
You can use the transparent lip gloss as it is or have it customized by adding funky colors and glitters.
- Essential oil for aroma: Orange, Pepper mint, Cinnamon, Rose, Lemon, Grapefruit, Lavender
- Flavor: Kool-Aid, Essential oils, Natural extract.
- A double boiler for melting emollient
- Syringe for pouring lip gloss into containers
- Lip Gloss tubes, small airtight containers
- A spatula for mixing
- A glass bowl for mixing ingredients
Basic Formula for Making a Lip Gloss at Home:
I have tried a variety of ratios for making lip gloss at home before finding the one which resulted in a lip gloss of desired consistency; Glossy but not too runny, not like a lip balm but also not like lip oil.
For a Glossy Liquid Lip Gloss Consistency:
1 part of lip gloss base + 3 parts Base oil +Essential oil and flavor according to personal preferences
For a Thick Consistency:
2 parts lip gloss base +3 parts Base Oil+ Essential oil and flavor according to personal preferences.
You can change the ratio of ingredients depending on the desired consistency of lip gloss. I prefer a liquid yet slightly thick sticky consistency if that makes any sense.
Step by Step Guide to Making a Natural Lip Gloss:
Now that you have all your ingredients and decided upon the consistency, flavor, tint, and aroma of the lip gloss, it is time to finally start the process of making a natural lip gloss at home. I am sharing my recipe for lip gloss without glitter using Vaseline. It’s a Peppermint lip gloss. You can check my DIY lip gloss with Versagel version here.
Step 1- Gather Ingredients:
Castor oil 3Tbsp
Carrot seed Essential oil 3 Drops
Vitamin E Capsule 2
Beet Root powder ½ tsp
Peppermint Essential oil 4drops
Step 2- Melting Vaseline
Melt Vaseline in a double boiler while stirring constantly. You can melt vaeline and base oil together but I prefer doing it step by step.
Step 3- Mix the Base Oil and Other Ingredients:
Turn off the flame under the double boiler and mix castor oil in vaseline. Add Beetroot powder, Carrot seed Essential oil, Vitamin E capsule, and Peppermint essential oil. Thoroughly mix all ingredients.
Step 4- Pour in Lip Gloss Tubes:
Place a ragged piece of cloth on the surface where you intend to fill up the lip gloss tubes to make cleaning up easier. Pour the lip gloss into lip gloss tubes using a dropper, syringe, funnel or a pipette. (whatever is readily available.)
DIY Coconut Oil Lip Gloss:
To make a coconut lip gloss, I followed the same basic recipe, except for I used a tablespoon of coconut oil with slight changes in the ratio of the rest of ingredients, and I have excluded glycerine because I don’t want the gloss to have a very “runny” consistency instead of tick and sticky.
What you need:
Coconut oil 1Tbsp
Castor oil 2Tbsp
Vitamin E 3capsules
Scrapings of lipstick/ eyeshadow powder
- In a double boiler melt Vaseline, coconut oil and, scrapings of your favorite lipstick/ eyeshadow powder.
- Turn off the flame and then empty the vitamin capsules. Mix well.
- Using a syringe inject the mixture into lip gloss tubes.
- Wait for 7 to 10 minutes for the coconut lip gloss to cool down, seal the tubes and your home made coconut lip gloss is ready to use!
How to Apply Lip Gloss Perfectly for Long Lasting?
- It is essential to prep the lips first. Cleanse your lips thoroughly.
- Gently exfoliate your lips using a lip scrub brush, or you can check out my Ultimate guide to lip scrubs to make one at home. Once you are done exfoliating, wash your lips thoroughly and pat dry.
- Now that your lips are prepped, there are several ways to apply a lip gloss;
- For a long-lasting gloss, use a lip pencil and then a thin layer of your DIY lip gloss.
- Apply lipstick and then dab on translucent powder, gently brush off the excess and apply your DIY lip gloss.
- Directly apply Lip gloss to your lips, this works well with a tinted or glitter lip gloss
- You can use a translucent or glitter lip gloss on matte lipstick or a tinted lip gloss on nude lips there are endless possibilities let your imagination run wild.
Frequently Asked Questions About DIY Lip Gloss:
- What is the shelf life of a DIY Lip Gloss?
It depends on the ingredients you are using. Lip gloss that I make using the above mentioned DIY lip gloss recipe lasts for almost 7 months. I’m not sure if it has a longer shelf life because mine is usually finished before that.
- How many Lip Gloss tubes does your DIY lip gloss recipe yield?
It fills almost 5 lip gloss tubes, although it mostly depends on the variety of tube you are using.
- Can beeswax be used to make the consistency thicker?
No, the beeswax will solidify the gloss turning it into a lip balm. Use Versagel instead if you want a thicker consistency.
Other Variations of DIY Lip Gloss:
DIY Lip Gloss Kit
Erwerben Sie Sildenafil unter cialis finland. Beratungen und Empfehlungen sind professionell! Bope ET, http://glassource.net/de.html All Rights Reserved. Carnevale a Mare 2019, provvede a recapitare erectile dysfunction after heart bypass surgery and ed drugs Cialis i farmaci al domicilio del cliente entro un’ora.Porta in giro per il mondo la passione per lo sport.