First of all, flavored lip gloss are not necessarily edible too. Do not be tempted into licking off these beautiful flavored lip gloss because these are not edible. For edible lip gloss, check out my post Delicious DIY edible Lip gloss. I will be sharing two variations of DIY flavored lip gloss recipes. One variation with Vaseline and the other one with Versagel. Both are equally good, I added these in a gift pack (for my daughter’s sleep over movie night) along with DIY lip scrub and lip balms.
You can go through my DIY lip balm recipes to make it at home and save yourself some bucks. The lip gloss comes out as glossy and thick not solid like a lip balm. For flavoring I will be using both scent oils and instant drink mix. Do not use fresh fruit extracts for flavor because it will not incorporate well into the lip gloss mixture as it is not oil-based, with a water base in it the end product will not have a good shelf life.
DIY Flavored Lip Gloss using Vaseline:
For this variation of a DIY flavored lip gloss, you can either use Vaseline only or add the rest of the ingredients too. I prefer using other ingredients along with Vaseline; it gives the lip gloss a nice sticky texture.
Castor Oil 2Tbsp
Instant drink mix 2Tbsp (more or less as desired)
Lip gloss tubes
- Scoop out Vaseline in a double boiler and melt it. Turn off the flame and then add castor oil
- Add instant drink mix such as Tang, stir the mixture using a spatula and inject the lip gloss into lip gloss tubes.
Note: You can use Pigmentation if you desire, I didn’t use it because the instant drink mix itself is colored, and I required a tinted, not heavily pigmented flavored lip gloss.
DIY Flavored Lip Gloss using Versagel:
Before we start, if you are using versagel as a lip gloss base, then always use gloves, a plastic container and spatula for mixing the ingredients. Versagel has a very dense and thick texture, so I will be a carrier oil to gain desired consistency. You can choose jojoba oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil. I however will be using grape seed oil. For flavoring I will use vanilla scent oil. You can opt for a fruit scent oil for fruit flavored lip gloss. Let us get started then.
Grapeseed oil 2Tbsp
Pigmentation as required
Vanilla scent oil 3drops
Plastic container and spatula
Lip gloss tubes
- Measure out Vesrsagel in a container, add a carrier oil and start mixing.
- Initially, Versagel will form lumps when it comes in contact with the carrier oil but keep stirring, and a smooth mixture will form.
- After you have gained your desired consistency, add pigmentation and vanilla scent oil.
- Again mix well and then inject the lip gloss into lip gloss tubes.